December 18, 2015

Coffee Lover’s Blog Hop

I was inspired by two recent cards made by my favourite bloggers when I made this card. And of course by the theme of this blog hop!

coffee hop flat shaker

Jennifer McGuire made a card using an ombre glitter technique and I used the same idea for my embossed snowflakes on my vellum. I stamped them in Versamark then applied tiny amounts of embossing powder in the precise spots I wanted it. I started with gold in the center, then platinum, then silver and last but not least, white. To make sure my powders didn’t mix, I tapped each one off individually.

coffee hop flat shaker2

But when you tip the paper to the side, the powder gets in places you don’t want it to go. And if you try and brush it off, you might disturb the Versamark underneath. So, I very carefully and very quickly I flip the paper over until it is completely upsidedown. Centrifugal force keeps the powder in place until it is upsidedown and then the powder falls off without getting where you don’t want it to go. I use a small bead scoop to apply the powder accurately. I don’t heat it until I’ve finished all the colours.

I used part of a page protector  and my Fuse tool to make a pocket like the one Kristina Werner showed recently. I  loved the metallic printed vellum she used in the back but I didn’t have any so I made my own. (see above) I added the vellum then sealed the bottom and sides. Beads and sequins from Lucy’s Cards and a wee bit of Martha Stewart glitter joned the vellum then I sealed the top. Here’s a tip for you, before adding all the shaker goodies, check that your seals are fully sealed. Mine looked fine but the bottom layer didn’t fully melt. It wasn’t hard to reseal it but I had to pickup quite a few shaker bits and put them back in.

Enjoy, Rebecca

Entered In:

CAS-Ual Chic 06 Snowflakes

cas06

Coffee Lover’s Blog Hop

HolidayCoffeeLoversBH_Logo

 

RECIPE
Stamps:
snowflake-DRS, small confetti stamp, mug, winter sentiment-SSS
Ink: Versamark
Paper: vellum-PTI, patterned paper-Bo Bunny
Accessories: gold EP-All Night Media, silver EP-SU!, platinum, white EP-Hero Arts, sequins-Lucy’s Cards, Pretty Pink posh, Glitter-Martha Stewart

14 comments:

Patry Ro said...

Hi Rebecca , fantastic idea, fabulous design. I love the sequins around cocoa's cup and the design!!! Happy Holidays for you and yours!!

Helen F. said...

FABULOUS card, Rebecca! Luv the cuppa, snowflake, pretty PP, glitter and sequins

Lisa said...

Ok... now THIS is a card that IS a shaker... back to the drawing board... I HAVE to make one of these...

Teresa Godines #6857 said...

Very pretty color choices. Beautiful

Sylvia said...

Love your shaker card Rebecca, love that embossing in gold! So glad to visit your blog today, Happy Holidays!

Shelly said...

Oh, this is beautiful!!

Hetty said...

Wow that is a totally awesomebackground to awonderful decorated cup!
Happy Holidays!

Hetty said...

That is a totally awesome background to a wonderfully decorated cup.
Happy Holidays!

~amy~ said...

This is wonderful...love your shaker card and the Fuse is on my wish list.

Suzanne Reynolds said...

I love this shaker card, and using vellum and have to check out the tutorial on this, love the colors and fantastic heat embossing the snowflakes in three colors...I have tried this but mine did not come out this beautiful...mine went in the trash, didn't even make it to the stash. Beautiful.

Mandy LaCroix said...

WOW. This is beautiful!

Happy Dance said...

Stunning design. Stunning embossing. I can't even begin to imagine how long it took you to make this beauty. It's one amazing card. Bev

Becca Yahrling said...

This is absolutely stunning. Love shakers!

Caroline said...

Love this!! That coffee cup is made out of one of my fav Christmas papers :)