November 26, 2016

Let Them Eat Cake!

I love cake, my favourite is chocolate cake with chocolate fudge icing and ganache glaze on top. Ooh yeah! My second favourite is lemon with lemon filling and cream cheese icing. But honestly, it’s rare for me to find a cake I Don’t like!

free style cake card

Our challenge this week at Crazy 4 Challenges was to make a cake themed card. I’m kind of on a roll with freestyle collage the last few days. I saw my Maggie Holmes collection stickers and chipboard I’d left out from my last post so I checked to see if I had any cake themed items to use. I was hoping to make a quick card as hubby was waiting for me to start watching a movie! It was our anniversary yesterday and although we’d planned to celebrate in style today, it was fun to spend some time together. (Our kid is sick, we’ve had to reschedule! ugh) There were lots of celebration themed items but no cake. So hubby had to wait a bit while I water coloured this pretty cake by SU! (from a long, long time ago.)

free style cake card2

Creating a freestyle collage card is so much fun. As long as you keep the balance right, you can throw almost anything on! Some small details you might otherwise miss: clear gems from Lucy’s Little Things on the cake, gold embossing on the cake, tiny yellow flowers amidst the roses on top of the cake, offset matting of the focal image rather than a perfectly even mat, scattered sequins-clear, opaque, heart and star adhered to resemble confetti scattered around; gold Wink of Stella pen around the edges of the  water colour paper, glitter on the balloon die cut and heart and finally, some pink stamped stitching.

One last tip: add some sparkle right into your watercolour. If you have a white shimmer watercolour paint, mix it into the paint you are using. Even when it looks like you don’t have much, it is very shimmery. I used my white pearl paint in my Gansai Tambi palette. Or add some perfect pearls into the mix. You could even add some wink of Stella to your palette and mix that in!

Isn’t this the best challenge? You’ve got to find some time to play a long with us! If you don’t have a cake stamp or die, just make one out of pieces of patterned paper cut to size, or use a cupcake stamp! You probably have one of those!

Enjoy, Rebecca

No comments: