February 08, 2010

Truffle Boxes

I made these for my sale, I think I should have labelled them on the front because no one asked what they were or picked them up except one lady. Who muttered, “too expensive!” So many people expect to go to a craft sale and get things for less than they could at their local drug store. It is so sad that they don’t realize that handmade should mean more expensive! The chocolates inside are Lindt. They aren’t labelled Lindt because I got them at a bulk store but the wrappers are identical in every other way.

truffle box 1 open

This box design was by Katie Renz for Clearly iStamp, the blog for Clear Dollar Stamps. She made a clever set of dividers for hers creating 9 sections but I didn’t add them because they wouldn’t have fit with my chocolates and besides, I only bought 16 for two boxes so I couldn’t have used 9 sections!

truffle box 1Note: The box lid lookd ramped up at the back but really fits perfectly. But the chocolate wrapper ‘twisty parts at the ends’ wouldn't lay nicely. After being packaged for a while, they behaved and the lid stayed flat.  The lid is made with labels 1 Nestabilities but to make it large enough, you emboss the shape into your cardstock, then cut about a fat 1/8” beyond the largest outline. I think next time I will just reduce the size of the box by a tiny bit so I can cut around the largest outline exactly, but if I needed the dividers, I would do it her way again rather than redesigning them too. The DP is cut using the second largest label 1.

truffle box 2 TIP: One trick when making a box like this. Often the instructions read something like this, “cut cardstock to 5.5”, score at 1” then again at 4.5”, turn 90 degrees and repeat.” This clearly gives you a 1” score lines on each side. I find that if your paper isn’t perfectly 5.5”, the sides won’t line up smoothly; some corners don’t line up. I prefer to score at 1”, then turn 90 degrees and repeat 3 times. That way, each side is perfectly 1” from the outer edge so the corners line up.

Enjoy, Rebecca

RECIPE
Stamp:
PTI Mega Mixed Messages
Ink: regal rose-SU!
Paper: chocolate, white CS-SU!, DP-Basic Grey Bittersweet
Accessories: Labels 1 Nestabilities, tag trio (I think)-Spellbinders, pink grosgrain-SU!, button-PTI, satin ribbon-stash

2 comments:

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

This is so pretty! Thanks for playing! :0

Bubbles said...

I love this box of treats

Swapbot:samash