August 05, 2010

Cuddly Koala for Doodle Pantry

I have wanted to go to Australia long before the movie was ever even though of. In particular to see these little guys, as well as many other things of course. Apparently, there is a place where you can go and even cuddle them!

koala gday 5th card 
I had a huge challenge colouring this guy. First I was going to colour and shade him, then remove colour with colourless blender on a rag to mimic fur. Then I had a better idea! I did a light base coat, then APPLIED my colour with the rag rather than removing it! I used the twill-type band area of the washcloth rather than the terry part thinking it would give me a better fur texture and I also hoped it wouldn’t soak up as much ink thereby wasting it. I think it worked really, REALLY well; I am so happy with the results!

To make sure the colour didn’t get all over the rest of the paper, I put a sticky note over the image, then held it up to the light and traced the areas I wanted colour on. Then I cut it out saving the reverse, creating a reverse mask. Then I applied my colour. I hope you will try this technique soon. Just remember, you can still add shading with this technique. Just twist the tip of the washcloth quite small to get more accurate results and use more than one colour of marker just like you would to blend the colour.

Sketch by Mercy Kerrin. MTSC85 The background pattern on the blue CS was created by inking up a Tim Holtz foam blending tool and using it like a stamp to create a pattern of loose squares.

MTSC85_thumb2

Be sure to visit Laurie’s blog, Clearly Delightful to read all about this month's challenge and see this month’s releases. Not only do you get a FREE image just for playing but you could win the ENTIRE month’s releases! WOOOHOOO!!! All you have to do is create a project using a tag of some kind (which I somehow managed to miss, sorry Laurie, stupid goof which happens when you are creating at 1AM!).

Enjoy, Rebecca

RECIPE
Image/sentiment:
Doodle Pantry
Ink: Vintage photo, antique linen distress ink
Paper: Granola-Basic Grey, white CS-Taylored Expressions, blue, chocolate CS-SU!, kraft CS-CDS
Accessories: ribbon-May Arts, foam dots-Jody Morrow, Copics G24,28, W00,01,03,05,07, black100, E57,71,77, B41

5 comments:

Pat (mspfd) said...

Beautiful card. What a wonderful sketch and awesome design.

L.Wilson said...

Oh, I just LOVE how you colored his fur! It really looks dense and puffy, wow! Fabulous card and I love the cute DP you've used to accent him.

Mary Duffek said...

Beautiful! Love how you colored the koala...looks real.

K. Joy said...

I love the soft and fuzzy look that your "rag coloring" gave this koala!! So cute! :) Great colors and papers. It really looks great!!

CarlaKH said...

wow what a great tip on coloring this way.. and your results are stunning!