December 26, 2013

Icicle Lights Jewellery Set

Wanna know what’s been keeping me so busy lately? Well yes, three kids but I’ve also been getting  into making jewellery. In the next few weeks, I will be showing you what I've been up to!

icicle lights for katie

This is one of my latest pieces. I made this for my autistic son’s respite worker. She’s leaving for three month’s to go to Australia and her work also asks her to bling it up since it’s a nice place so this works for both. It uses headpins (a silver wire with a flat end on it which acts as a stopper) which I strung Swarovski round and bicone crystals in blue, teal and white then turned a 3/4 loop with round nose pliers and slipped the loop over the chain.

Then I completed the loop and wrapped the wire tail around the wire stem just above the beads. I cut the chain to size, added a clasp to the chain and that’s it! The earrings are even easier. Add the beads to the headpin, wrap the loop. Add the earring wire. That’s it. It you are working with thicker wire than I am, you can just turn a loop and not even wrap it!

icicle lights for katie earrings

Planning the beads so they hang nicely, look good and keep them in order while making the was the harder than the construction. I wish I’d planned the second and third in from each end a little better as they don’t lay well. The other’s just don’t have support behind them in the photo to lay perfectly but the end ones just sit funny because they don’t have room. Oh well.

The earrings aren’t as interesting (I don’t like crazy earrings) but I did use a long French wire, (heck I don’t know what they are really called but that’s what I call em) so that makes them a bit more unique. When I asked our worker what style she likes or what preferences she has all I got was “I’m sure I’ll like anything you will make. Whatever you’d like to make.'” and “blue” so I think I’m good!

Enjoy Rebecca

RECIPE
any decent bead store has everything you see here. I used a basic jump ring and lobster claw closure. There are dozens of tutorials on line to teach you how to make wrapped loops and open and close jump rings, the only skills i used. Try Fire Mountain Beads and Artbeads

1 comment:

Donetta said...

So very pretty! I'm sure the recipient loved her beautiful gift!