July 21, 2018

Kindness Enclosed: Flower and Wood Frame Card

For the third week of the month at Crazy 4 Challenges, I designed a sketch for us to use. I’ll be honest, I CASE’d this from a card I saw but when I went to find the name of the designer, I’d lost it! oops!

c4c 18 peony wood frame sketch

So I learned some fun things when I was making this card. I tried a few different dies to make a frame. But, none of them were working quite right. So I tried making a frame with my new Infinity Rectangle Dies by Hero Arts. To save time, I used some cheap watercolour paper I bought for my son. I cut the frame 3 times. Then I wanted it to look like a wood frame so I embossed it with my Gemini Junior using a PTI texture plate. But, I made my sandwich too thick. My machine moaned and groaned but it finally allowed the sandwich through. My frame was deeply embossed but also quite warped and even torn in one place! At first I was annoyed assuming I’d have to redo my frame. Then I looked at it again. I liked that the frame wasn’t perfect, it made it look more rustic. Also, the torn part went together quite well while the remaining portion that showed could be hidden under the flower. I highlighted the texture with some gold wax paste.

c4c 18 peony wood frame sketch2

The flowers are from a Spellbinders stamp n die set. I used professional watercolours from several brands to colour the image that was stamped in Antique Linen Distress ink. I used spring moss cardstock for the card base, then some patterned paper with soft printed dots. A doily and some sequins added some shabby chic texture to this card. I wasn’t sure what kind of sentiment I wanted to use and I knew that I needed some new cards for More Love Letters. I try to send a couple of cards each month. It’s hard to know what sentiment to use when making cards in advance, so I went with a kindness sentiment from a set by Hero Arts.

Enjoy, Rebecca

No comments: