August 06, 2009

Butterfly Project #1

I finally got to make my first Butterfly Project Butterfly. I’m sure with over 400,000 some one else has come up with the butterfly covered in butterflies idea but I still think it is pretty if not totally unique. I wonder if they will count this as one butterfly or as 23! Don’t forget if you make a butterfly, you can enter to win a stamp set at Craft Critique.

I feel so bad for children of the world who die so young for so many reasons, not just the 1.5 million children who were murdered during the Holocaust. Sickness, war, child soldiers, abuse, neglect and starvation. I LOVE my kids SO much, I can’t butterfly project 1
even imagine what it would be like to lose them. When I think about it, usually when I am tired, I can’t help but make myself cry and I have to try really hard not to think about it. Can you imagine getting off a train after a horrible ride, packed in like cattle, your most precious possessions gone, but you think, “At least we are together as a family,” then your children are ripped from you  and you never see them again?! Absolutely agonizing. To me, this project is so important. I mean, how else could I personally make any difference in the lives of those who died so butterfly project 1 closeup1
tragically so many  years ago, so far away. Hopefully this project not only honours those who were lost but perhaps makes some tiny difference to the few survivors who are left. I made up the sentiment, it might be a bit cheesy but all of those kids whose childhoods are stolen should have had time to just be kids. When I wrote it, I was thinking of kids running through a field filled with flowers chasing butterflies, carefree, able to live, love and grow without fear.

The base is the chipboard from a SU! DSP pack. I sprayed it with custom shimmer mist made with water and pink gold interference Pearl Ex. Because Pearl Ex does not contain a fixative, I sprayed butterfly project 1 closeup2one on after. See the gold on the lower right butterfly wing? Interference colours of Pearl Ex look different depending on the light so sometimes the background looks pink and sometimes it looks gold, Neat huh? Each butterfly is sponged with worn lipstick Distress ink to unify the project and grunge it up a bit. It was way too perfect before that.

Enjoy, Rebecca

RECIPE
Stamps:
none
Ink: worn lipstick Distress ink
Paper: various SU! CS and DP
Accessories: Cuttlebug, die-Quickutz, foam dots-Jody Morrow, silk ribbon and flowers-stash, Making Memories rub-ons, Krylon workable Fixatif

4 comments:

Yvette said...

Wowzers!!! Rebecca, your butterfly turned out beautiful beautiful BEAUTIFUL! Great job girl! Awesome post as well!!!

Cassie said...

we are cosmically connected!!! but i love how you have a sentiment on yours!!

Cindy Haffner said...

Oh how beautiful!!!!!!

Holly Jones said...

fun!