This card is a real departure from my usual cards but that is why I like doing Splitcoast challenges. Makes me move beyond my pink and brown or celery with plums comfort zone.
This card fulfills Colour Challenge 195 and Cat's Creations sketch challenge for blog candy. The card base is standard 4.25 x 5.5" black cardstock. From now on I am just going to call this a standard card base. The next layer is Sahara sand stamped with a background stamp in the same colour ink. TIP: For the best results using a background stamp, swipe the ink pad across it, then tap it as usual. Be careful to fully coat the stamp in ink. Leave the stamp upside down on your table; place your cardstock face down on the stamp. Use your brayer to push the cardstock against the stamp. If any of the background is not covered by the cardstock and the reverse will show, cover with scratch paper before brayering. If ink gets on your brayer, clean as you would a stamp wheel.
I distressed it with a Heidi Swapp distressing tool, the one that looks like a pink Pac-Man, and scissors. During that process the cardstock got wrinkled so I took advantage and crumpled it a bit more and inked the whole sheet. The folds get more ink than the valleys giving a nice texture. Can you tell I have been to Tim Holtz' site lately? I really loosely followed the sketch; the sentiment was supposed to go at the bottom, oh well. I placed two ribbons, the ivory and the gingham, across the whole card, to me this represented the line on the sketch that was supposed to be the seam between two papers. I wish the ribbon showed more but at least it gave me a place to tie in the other three ribbons. I cut the oval cardstock layers with Nestabilities, love those! and adhered them to the card with black foam tape.
The flowers are punched with the six petal SU! punch but I prefer odd numbers of petals so I clipped one out, hole punched the center with the 3/16" Crop-a-dile and smushed the flower until the petals came together. The Scrapper's Floss used to be medium brown but I didn't like that it was the only thing on the card that wasn't one of the featured colours; that might be OK if it was red or something, sort of an accent colour, but since it wasn't, it just looked strange. So I coloured it with a Copic marker. Ditto the gingham ribbon, used to be black and white, I coloured it ivory with a Copic. After I got all of that done, it still looked a bit empty at the bottom, so I added the chipboard swirl covered in the same vintage book page as the flower. I used CTMH files to make the paper fit in the small areas of the swirl; they are quite sharp, worked very well and were quite cheap. The edges of the swirl were distressed with a black Copic. I added two brads to the end of the swirl; I really like how that looks.
Paper: vintage book page-unknown, Sahara sand, black and vanilla cardstock
Stamps: It's about time, Ephemera bkgd
Ink: Stazon, Sahara sand
Accessories: ivory ribbon-Masterstroke, scrapper's floss- Karen Foster, chipboard swirl- deluxe designs, E00 and black Copic markers, black gingham ribbon, black sheer ribbon, oval Nestabilities-Spellbinders, flower punch, black brads, black button, brayer All of the above by SU! unless otherwise noted.
Gorgeous card! lovely, lovely work!!!
Oh I love this! LOve the distressing and the swirl and flower punched out of the book page, looks fantastic! Thanks soo much for playing along!
I love that black and white card! The distressing you added to further enhance the contrast is really exceptional. TFS!
Post a Comment