August 14, 2018

Revisiting Old Card Kits

If you buy card kits, do you ever use them up before the next one arrives? Leave me a comment and let me know! I have to admit, I NEVER finish a card kit right away! in fact, I have ones going back to 2014! I think only 2 in that time are all used. So sometimes when I have some time, I pull out an older kit and try to make at least 3 cards with it. I don’t always manage three but I try even if I have to make a simpler card or CASE* one of the cards shown on the insert. 

balloon celebrate card

*CASE stands for Copy and Stamp Everything, basically using someone else’s design as inspiration but changing it up to make it your own. As long as you don’t pass the card off as your own or try to sell it, you can even copy it exactly!

I was in a gold mood when I made these cards. Do you ever get in a mood to use a certain colour, a specific technique or product and use it over and over for a short while? I work in spurts like that. Then I move on to a new one for the next while. This card comes from a Simon Says Stamp kit all the way back from September 2015! I created a ‘background stamp’ using some of the small bows, triangles, circles and half-circles included in the Birthday Bits stamp set. I needed some more bits so I trimmed a couple of tiny shapes off of the small borders. I don’t prefer to cut my stamps apart but these are wonky borders anyway so realigning them perfectly isn’t important. I found a matching ink to the cardstock in the kit and stamped the grouping of stamps I put together on entire card front. Sometimes when I find a grouping I really like, I stamp an example and keep it with the stamp set.

balloon celebrate card2

I gold embossed some balloons on two of the papers by Pinkfresh Studio from the kit and on some scrap cardstock. I added some dots on the cardstock balloon. The strings are made of stretch gold cord which is my preference over plain gold string. The stretch means that you don’t have to be as precise when tying the strings together to make sure they all stay straight. I glued the knot to the card with glossy accents using a clothespin to keep it in place while it dried. The sentiment from Celebration Sentiments by Honey Bee Stamps is embossed with gold sparkle powder by WOW. I used banner dies by PTI but I trimmed the points so they weren’t so long.

gold foil balloon celebrate

In keeping with the gold theme, I made this card using the October 2015 Simon Says Stamp kit. The center panel is one of the journaling cards included in the kit. The cards and the patterned papers are by My Mind’s Eye, one of my favourite paper companies. The panel underneath has a gold-leafed I applied over Scor-Tape, then I rounded the edges to match the journaling card. I hand cut the balloons because the dies I have are too large. I added the same gold cord but this time decided to allow the strings to hang to the side whimsically. It’s hard to tell from this photo but the ‘Let’s Celebrate’ sentiment is gold foiled. A few gold confetti bits from Studio Katia finished off this card.

gold foil balloon celebrate2

Thanks for joining me for these fun cards. I’d love to hear how you use your card kits. Do you subscribe or just buy a few here and there? Do you buy more than one? If you get any other than the MFT, SSS or Hero Arts ones, let me know which ones and how you like them! I’m dying to sub to the Spellbinders ones but I only have so many $$$!

Enjoy, Rebecca

No comments: