February 08, 2014

Roses and Polka Dots Card for PTI 7th Anniversary Challenge

This challenge was to choose a colour combination and sketch and make a card. There are so many possible combinations and this is the one challenge that isn’t over in 24 hours. It is so hard to fulfill the challenge and blog it in time if you only have one day!

Roses and polka dots for PTI 7th challenge1

I used the following colours which look remarkably different on my screen which is weird because all I did is save them from Nichole’s blog and put them on mine.

COLOR challenge MP

This is the sketch I used. It didn’t seem very natural to me (neither did the other ones) but I like to start with lots of elements to guide me and this one seems to offer the most in that department. Once I thought about using the stencil for the middle of the card space, I was off and running.

sketvh 4

One thing I do regret is not taping off the sides of my card for stencilling, well the one side anyway. That last vertical row of dots really annoys me, and the few that show to the bottom right of the bottom brown panel too. I tried to scratch one off and it worked but left a mark so I tried to cover it with rhinestones. I managed a straight margin on the right, it’s perfect in fact (so of course it’s covered up!), but the texture paste is harder to control on the left.

Roses and polka dots2 for PTI 7th challenge1

The roses look like they are a different red than the cardstock but its one of those tricks that happens when you take a photo, looks like a perfect match IRL. Its a very dramatic colour of rose, I’m not sure I love it but it matches the colour combo for sure. I winged the placement of the hex stamping meaning I didn’t use anything as a placement guide; worked out OK I think. I felt the whole card needed some softening since the roses are so bold and strong. That’s also why I chose the doily edging.

Enjoy, Rebecca

RECIPE
Stamps:
PTI
Ink: scarlet Jewel
Paper: ivory, poppy, chocolate-PTI, doily (restaurant)
Accessories: homemade texture paste, Copic E31 marker to tint texture paste kraft colour, MFT stencil, rhinestones-TE, Copic E49 to colour rhinestones, PTI dies (flourish, label shape, roses), foam dots-Jody Morrow

No comments: