February 17, 2013

Vintage Chalkboard Challenge Card

OK, so I have to admit, I’m not sure I like this card. I am so not a fan of black but I was dying to try the chalkboard technique.

chalkboard g45 card

But when I got done, I didn’t know what to pair it with! Uh oh! The black really threw me for a loop. So I went with some very bold G45 papers I bought only because I was making cards for a client and the elegant black patterned papers in the pack were perfect. Not my style really, well, at all and I hesitated to even publish it which is very unusual because I blog pretty much everything I make! I just had to blog it anyway because I it was for three challenges and even more so because I am thrilled with how the chalkboard technique turned out. I used a chalk pastel pencil for the lines. Not too many chalkboards have coloured ‘chalk’ but I have seen a few including a cool Nabob commercial.

This is for the Waltzing Mouse Blog Party to use Doilies. I just tucked bits under each edge. Also for Deconstructed Sketch 89 and Friday Mashup 97 to use Markers and add Texture. I used a marker to colour the white EP to match the DP and buttons. I fyou have any ideas what would go better with the black, leave me a comment!

deconstructed sketch89

Enjoy, Rebecca

RECIPE
Stamps:
WM
Ink: Versamark, white-PTI
Paper: kraft-PTI, DP-Graphic 45, black-SU!, doily-Wilton
Accessories: black ribbon-May Arts, buttons-SU!, scalloped border die-PTI, white EP-stash, Copics

16 comments:

Julia Aston said...

Love the addition of red on the white embossed label Rebecca! and the mix of pretty polka dot and floral papers!

Charmaine Stack said...

A great take on the chalkboard technique. You have paired some nice prints for this card, too.

~Tammy~ said...

Love your chalkboard card! An absolute delight!

Claire said...

I think you're way too heard on yourself...it looks pretty amazing to me. Love the pop of red on the lettering!

Deborah Frings said...

I do like the combination of the black chalkboard and those gold papers - just lovely. I like that you coloured one of the words too - very elegant card!

Kelly S. said...

Are you kidding? This card is FANTASTIC and I love how you used the chalkboard technique, Rebecca! Especially the little scroll corners :) Love the floral papers and the doily in the background ...and how you emphasized the "powder" in the sentiment with a bit of orange to match!

Heidi Baks said...

This came out beautiful! I love that you used a vintage label for your main image. Thanks for joining the Friday Mashup this week.

Lynn Mercurio said...

This is awesome. The white stamping on the black background is so striking and I really like the way you lined your sentiment with the corner accents and line. Fantastic job.

Vickie Z said...

Oh, I think the black looks great with these papers! Love your chalkboard!!

Cassi said...

the doily is such a great contrast to the black design!

Renee said...

Black is PERFECT for this...
and the papers and accent!
Gorgeous take on the chalkboard effect...
and that doily tucked behind is the perfect finishing touch!

Marybeth said...

I love the elegant black ! It's a gorgeous card and love the layout with the scalloped edge. Beautiful way to use the doily !

Marybeth said...

I love the elegant black ! It's a gorgeous card and love the layout with the scalloped edge. Beautiful way to use the doily !

Unknown said...

Wow Rebecca, I was shocked to hear how uncertain you were about the card, because to me this looks like it was put together by a professional, I think it is a terrific, both in composition and in your colour choices!! I loved it! Pinned it in fact!

Bev Gerard said...

Pretty, pretty!!
Now that you've jumped over the black hurdle, you'll be amazed at how well it pairs/contrasts with other colors of your C/S. ;)

Lili said...

I am glad you published your card because it is beautiful! Love the texture, the papers and your color combo. Great job! Thanks for playing along with us at the Friday Mashup this week!