November 26, 2012

Sarah’s Shower Card and Cake

My sister is getting married and yesterday was a huge shower for her. It was arranged by the family of her fiancée and they are Italian. My family is of British descent and it isn’t a heritage we really honour in any way. But the Italians have quite a few traditions and lots of fabulous food so I am having a blast joining in with all the fun!

sarah shower card2

This is the card I made for her. If you are really on the ball, you will remember that I already made her a card but since this is what I do, why not make another? Especially since he really likes birds and I found this paper with two sweet little birdies on it and an appropriate sentiment! The trim isn’t 100% perfect but it does match better IRL. I think I’m going to have to buy some matching ribbon from PTI because it’s an odd colour to match.

sarah shower card

So back to the shower. In my circle of friends, our tradition is to have a bridal shower one afternoon or evening, have appetizers and desserts in someone’s home, usually whomever has the biggest house, and bring lots of gifts. The Italian tradition is to rent a banquet hall, have served lunch, several courses, wine, music and mostly money in cards as gifts. Wow, what a huge difference! I loved every minute! I’ll take cheesy mushroom risotto, spinach and cheese-filled, cream sauce-covered pasta, stuffed herb stuffed chicken breast over veggies and dip, pastry-covered mini sausages and brownies made from a mix any day!  And tartufo (Italian layered ice cream), fruit and a sweet table later! It just isn’t doable in my group as we don’t have the money but it was scrumptious. I don’t want to sound ungrateful for any of the showers I’ve been invited to; they are fun and lovely especially since the company is most important but it was a nice afternoon out sans men and it was great getting to know some new extended family.

sarah shower cake

One of Sarah’s fiancée's sisters is a cake maker and make this beauty for the shower. Amazing huh? The cake plate even is to die for. Another fun part of the shower was the door prize draws. I have a big voice and I was sitting with the ‘sisters’, so I was nominated to call out the winners. I ended up winning a door prize basket! No, I didn’t cheat! A nice fabric covered box with a tin of cookies, some Hershey’s Kisses, a coffee mug, bath salts, body wash, a bath pouf, a candle and a packet of hot chocolate! Awesome. Then I also won the centerpiece! Whomever was sitting in the seat with the yellow ribbon tied on it got to take it home. Every chair had a different colour and I only chose the seat I did because it was at the back so out of the way because I had the baby and the stroller. I had thought a little curling ribbon was an odd choice in decor!

sarah shower centerpiece

My card based on November’s SFYTT. You have a couple days to try it out! I’ve actually played 11/11 so far and I am so proud. Watch me drop the ball on December’s sketch! As you can see, I rotated mine 180 until it was upside down. And then stretched it to landscape orientation. But all the elements are still there in basically the same places!

sfyttnov2012sketch

Enjoy, Rebecca

RECIPE
Stamps:
WMS Say It Loud
Ink: Autumn Rose-PTI
Paper: Autumn Rose CS-PTI, DP-Blush MME
Accessories: lace-Fabricland, trim-stash, flower-Michaels, pearl brad-Recollections, punch-EK Success,

No comments: