June 25, 2009

Masculine Gift Card Holder Tutorial

I needed a gift card holder for my son’s gymnastics coach. I’ve only seen him a few times as I usually drop Jameson off letting him go in by himself and he comes straight out to the car after. That way I don’t have to take the baby out of the car. It is hard to watch anyways because unless you lean against the glass and cup your hands around your eyes, the glare on the glass prevents you gift card holder coach final closeupseeing into the gym. Which means watching the baby is impossible! But today I got to go in and take pictures in the last 10 minutes. Not enough time and Jameson refused to show me his best skill because he was scared. GRRR! Anyway, I figure this poor guy deserves something for trying to teach my ADD kid in an environment where he can run, jump and play! Almost impossible to keep him focused! So I bought him a Tim Horton’s (THE donut shop in Canada, there are a few in the US) gift card. I had so many choices of how to present it but could I be bothered to look up the tutorial for the style of gift card I chose? NO WAY! I am getting ready this week for a BBQ for 60 people this weekend so quick and easy was required. Once I get on to the computer, I can get lost for hours. So I came up with my own tutorial! I am going to share it with you here.

Gift Card or Gift Certificate Holder Tutorial
makes a 4.25x5.5” card

Step 1. Cut Cardstock 5.5x11”. Score at 4 1/4”, 5.5” then turn the paper 180 degrees (turn, not flip) and score again at 4.25. ( I have a Scor-Pal and 4.25” has its own channel so it is easier to turn it than figure out where to score again!) Fold with bone folder as shown below. Two valley folds and one mountain fold.
gift card holder tut1
Step 2. Mark the width or length of your gift card/certificate on the mountain fold, centering it. Add 1/4” at each end. (Whether you use the length or width depends on which way you choose to put your gift card in. Either way will work.) Use your word window punch to punch the center of the mountain fold. Only insert the paper into the punch a bit less than half way. You will probably need to punch twice to cover the distance. Just line the punch up with the previous hole for the second punch. If you don’t have a word window punch, try using a 3/8” hole punch on each end, paper only inserted to bit less than the half way point of the circle, punch. Then connect the tops of the two circles with your paper cutter or a ruler and craft knife.

Step 3. Flip the cardstock over and apply adhesive to the fold as per the photo below. Do not remove the backing yet!
gift card holder tut2

Step 4. If you wish to stamp directly on the front of the card, do so now.
gift card holder tut3

Step 5. Remove the adhesive backing, close fold and finish the card front.
gift card holder tut4
Now I have to explain something. I am totally creeped out by anything supernatural including vampires. I know there are a TON of you out there who are crazy for these books and movies. However, I am not. I only have this card because I was given it when I returned something. I didn’t notice what was on it until later and I didn’t notice which card I had picked out of my wallet until I looked back at these pictures. If I still had the gift card holder I would have changed it and if I knew how, I would blur it out. I apologize to anyone else who is a strict Christian like me.

Here’s the finished card. This is an AWESOME way to use up scraps. And so easy to make!
gift card holder coach final
There is a foam dot under the chocolate circle at the top and the ‘graph’ paper at the bottom. I used the second and third from the smallest of Nesties large and small circle dies and my SU! 1” punch. Here’s a tip. My paper was double-sided so I placed the pieces side by side on my Cuttlebug plate. I put one of the circles I had chosen on each paper and one underneath each paper. Make sense? Two on top and two below. I cut 4 circles in one pass!

Enjoy, Rebecca

RECIPE
Stamps:
rough edges wheel, letterpress alphabet, everyday phrases
Ink: Java (scented ink)-Ranger, bordering blue
Paper: bordering blue, vanilla and chocolate CS, DSP (actually only two pieces of double-sided paper)
Accessories: Nestabilities circles, chocolate eyelets-CTMH, foam tape-dollar store. All products by SU! unless otherwise noted.

No comments: