March 12, 2011

Spring Tulips for the OCC Fabric Challenge and Mojo Monday

I planted some bulbs last year, I don’t remember exactly what I planted by I’m pretty sure there are some tulips in the mix! I can’t wait for spring! The weather here in Southern Ontario hasn’t been too bad but it just can’t seem to decide whether to rain or snow!

justrite mojo tulips

The OCC challenge this week is to use fabric. Any kind of fabric, except ribbon doesn’t count. I hope you will play with us this week! You can make a flower, weave it, bow tie it, knot it, layer it, use it as a background or anything else you can think up.

I used a sheer bridal organza to make this flower. I had some 1” red line tape circles from Jody Morrow and started in the center with a 2” wide strip of fabric about 22” long. I kept the center twisted very tightly but loosened it up as I went. The red line tape kept it in place. I used all but an 1” or so of the fabric. When I got to the end, I tucked the fabric tails behind the adhesive. Then I added the leaves, which were folded from ribbon, and tucked them underneath too. There was very little adhesive left so I added another red line tape circle directly underneath the first sandwiching the tails and ends of the leaves. One of the other gals used tulle behind her flower, I wish I’d thought of that!

Click on the photo to go to Mojo Monday.

In case you subscribe by email and you got this before, this card is slightly different. I made this card for the Joan’s Gardens JustRite challenge but I still wanted to use this for my OCC project this week and for Mojo Monday but I couldn’t add the flourish if I wanted to comply with the JR only rules. So I posted this back a few days without the flourish. Then I added the flourish for today.

In case you are wondering, no, JR does not manufacture a circular frame with this pattern. I cut a circle of cardboard that fit exactly inside the oval frame stamp that came with this set from JustRite (more like under the stamp just inside the rubber ridge that normally holds the stamp to the grooved block). It forced the oval into a circle shape which I much prefer most of the time.  I used glue dots to hold the stamp in place on an ordinary acrylic block. I have too many cool dies that are circles and of course most doilies are also round. I’ve tried layering the ovals on the circles but this set is too large for them to look right IMHO.

Enjoy, Rebecca

RECIPE
Stamps:
JustRite Stampers, Elegant Flourishes-Autumn Leaves
Ink: Memento black, celery, banana-SU!, sweet blush, white-PTI, embossing, Antique Linen Distress ink
Paper: Botanique Collection-American Crafts, naturals white CS-SU!
Accessories: doily-Wilton, mini scallop punch-EK Success, 1” red line circle dots, foam dots-Jody Morrow, circle Nestabilities, pearl-Dollarama, fabric-Fabricland, Copics BV25, V91,95, RV19, R00,11,20,22,32,81,83,85, YR00,02,20,31,, Y21,35, YG63,67, G21, ombre ribbon (leaves)-Michaels, white pearls EP-stash

10 comments:

Joan Fricker said...

Beautiful card Rebecca! I love the soft colors. Your work is always so beautiful.

Thanks so much for playing in Joan's Gardens Weekly Challenge. We have so much fun! I hope you join us every week.

Joan
www.atjoansgardens.com

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

I just saw your card that you entered in the blog hop at Joan's Gardens and had to tell you just how beautiful I think it is. It's just lovely!!!

kathy s said...

what a pretty card Rebecca and I love your flower

Vicki Burdick said...

Beautiful Rebecca!! Love that flower you made, you seriously could sell those!!! Beautiful!!!

Sarah Gough said...

pretty - love the doily!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

So so pretty, Rebecca. Love the softness and the lovely pastel colors. Doilies are always a hit with me and your flower is sensational! Hope you enjoyed the challenge!

Have a great weekend!

Hugs,
Linda

Lori Rider said...

This is beautiful - lovely colors with your image, and your organza flower is so soft and pretty! Gorgeous card!

Sharon Wheet said...

Rebecca, I just love your card! All the different patterns and textures! It's gorgeous! and I love your rolled flower. (I think your flower looks great without the tulle)

Kristin said...

What a stunning card! I love your flower, but the card on a whole is just amazing. I love the little swirl in the corner!

Diane Gilbert said...

BEAUTIFUL card! Love your fabric flower!