January 18, 2012

Gift Set for a Friend

I’ve mentioned before that I have a friend who is battling cancer. I made her a gift basket a while back and I posted the card I made for her. I didn’t have time to make everything I had intended to add to the basket so I finally finished it this week. I am entering this in the Moxie Fab Around the House Challenge to use something from around the house. I used coffee filters.

donna gift set 1_thumb[1]

I made her a notepad, a sticky note pad, a bookmark…

donna gift set 5 book pencil holder_thumb[1]

… a decorated composition notebook, a decorated pencil, a clip and a pencil holder. I made the flowers with dyed crinoline, tulle and coffee filter layers. They were cut with a 5 petal flower dies by Heartfelt Creations. They are just like Spellbinders dies and come in a set of 7! I dyed and scrunched the layers before they dried. The crinoline in particular scrunches really small so I had to flatten the layers a bit before using them. I stamped and dyed the book binding tape. I was surprised how well the adhesive held, I highly recommend this product!

The pencil holder is a simple folded ribbon. I folded the ribbon and sewed it to make a pocket; the top front edge folded over so it was sewn in to finish it. The upper area is also folded over and the end tucked in when I sewed the rest which leaves a large loop at the top. It looks decorated but what you see is the top of the pencil with a large flower on it. The pencil also has pink ribbon wrapped around the top half. I wrapped the clip in patterned paper and decorated it with a matching chipboard bird and a coffee filter flower. I kept the sticky note holder very simple and flat in case she wants to put it in the book.

donna gift set 7 book closeup_thumb[2]

The notebook uses a doily cut with a PTI doily die layered with more handmade flowers, buttons, pearls and a silk ribbon bow. The leaves are also made from coffee filter. To get the variegation on the leaves, I pressed celery and olive ink pads on my non-stick craft mat. I spritzed with pearlized water and pressed the leaves into the celery ink. Then I dragged the edges in the olive ink. The lace was made on my mom’s sewing machine with her embroidery hoop. It was made using wash out stabilizer so really all it is is thread in the end. Pretty nice huh? For some reason she didn’t use it so passed it on to me! Yeah!

donna gift set 2 notepad_thumb[2]

Next is the notebook. The colours aren’t very accurate in this photo. The green cardstock cover isn’t quite as yellowish and neither is the flower; it looks way too peachy. IRL it is slightly corally but definitely pink. Sigh…

donna gift set 3 notepad closeup_thumb[1]

There is more lace peeking out from under the flower and I stamped the ‘note to self’ stamp all over the blush coloured paper at the top in different directions making it look like patterned paper. I CASEd a notebook design by Mish Wooderson of Mish Mash; credit where credit is due. I LOVE her notepad layouts.

donna gift set 4 bookmark_thumb[1]

This bookmark is so simple that I don’t think it needs much explaining. I have no idea what colour the mist is as I made it ages ago and since I didn’t use it up, I just saved it. Maybe regal rose with a bit of burgundy thrown in seems to ring a bell?? I was happy with the collagey feel I ended up with as I really try hard for this style often and don’t usually manage to get something I like. The butterfly was coloured with Copics.

donna gift set 6 box_thumb[1]

This last photo shows a box I made ages ago along with some of the new things I’ve made.  I was going to add the box to the gift basket I made but it wouldn’t fit. So when I designed this gift set, I decided to use the same DP pack, Botanique by American Crafts, to make everything.

Enjoy, Rebecca

RECIPE
Stamps:
script-Hero Arts, all from bookmark except tiny flourish and script-American Crafts, all from notepad plus tiny flourish-Take Note-PTI,
Ink: memento brown, Chocolate, blush, celery, apricot, olive-SU!, soft rose-Hero Arts, Stazon brown
Paper: Spring moss CS-PTI, DP-American Crafts, bookmark base-Hero Arts, doily-Wilton, bird die cuts and chipboard-American Crafts,
Accessories: Metal edged tag, hardware, brads-SU!, crinoline-Etsy, coffee filter, buttons, doily die, notepad, button die-PTI, silk ribbon-May Arts, Perfect Pearls, flourish die-Marianne, Divine Twine, ribbons (sticky note pad and pencil holder) unknown,  ribbon on book-American Crafts, foam dots-Jody Morrow, binder clip, Composition notebook-Dollarama, EK Success mini scallop punch, Copic markers-R11, 32, 24, Copic refill R20 (dyeing flowers),  Labels 14 (I think) die, leaf dies-Spellbinders, book binding tape-Prima

2 comments:

Linda Kunsman said...

what a really lovley gift set and the flowers are gorgeous!!

suzARTe said...

This set is really lovely, worth all the effort