September 16, 2009

Cards for Kate – Whimsical Wednesday!

The cards I am showing today are for Kate’s brother and sister using this week’s Whimsical Wednesday sketch (I love shaped cards so much I did two)! In case you are wondering (and haven’t heard already!), Kate is a 5 year old girl with cancer. Jennifer McGuire is collecting cards for her and her family to help them through this troubling time. I had already bookmarked her post to help out BEFORE I heard that there are nifty prizes to be won for sending in cards. For far, I believe the prize count is up to over 50! She is constantly posting updates so visit her blog to find out more or click on the ‘Cards for Kate’ link on her sidebar. Please consider sending a card for this worthy cause.

kate bro frog

This first one is for her brother Will. I hope I didn’t use too much glitter but it was so pretty, I just couldn’t stop! He is only 4 so it should be OK. Maybe my challenge to myself to use more glitter and shimmer has unleashed a glitter monster!! I’m so excited that the glitter actually shows in this picture! My photography class is paying off!

Boy, it was hard trying to figure out how to get a lily in the middle of this card to satisfy at least one of the sketch layers. With no die or template, you aren’t going to believe how I did it. I Googled lilies and figured out they look somewhat like two 5 pointed-petal flowers overlapped. I have a punch for that shape but only about 1/2” wide. So I punched two and overlapped them. I glued them to the back of the sheet of paper I wanted to use and started measuring out from each point exactly 1”. Then from each groove between the flowers, I measured out 3/4”. I drew a slightly curving line from each point to the next and cut it out. I think it worked out quite well! I flipped it and added the yellow overlapped flowers to the middle and I was done, that part at least! I would have added another petal layer but I was running out of time for hubby to watch the baby.

Here’s a story for ya! I wasn’t quite done when he went to bed so I let the baby into my craft room for a couple of minutes to colour while I took pictures. I was just finishing when I turned around to find an entire jar of glitter all over my chair, table, baby and floor! I let out a shriek and tossed him into our gated kitchen/family room. I managed to salvage most of the glitter thank heavens. Boy this baby gives me a run for my money!

kate sis monkey
This one is for Kate’s sister Olivia. Again with the glitter! But doesn’t it look awesome! The wings are cut from shimmery white paper too as is the tag. I forgot to dry the ink before handling the tag so I apologize for the smudge, I hope she doesn’t notice! The monkey is double popped up and the wings are single popped up. In case you are wondering, my card for Kate will publish on Thursday and I am going to use a card I already made for the parents. Of course, you do not have to make cards for everyone, you can choose just one person and send a single card or one addressed to the whole family if you like.

clip_image002

Thank you to Madelynn for this fun challenge. I sure hope you will play along this week! Please show us what you can do with this AWESOME sketch. Post to your blog or PCP/SCS with keyword DDSC2 (the sketch is incorrect again this week) and don’t forget to link to Whimsical Wednesdays so we can more easily find your project! I hope you will take the time to visit all the DareDevils this week. Playing this week is: EVERYONE! So check out the sidebar for all the links!! Be sure to check out Whimsical Wednesdays to see if you won the blog candy from last week!

Enjoy, Rebecca

RECIPE – Frog
Stamps: SU!
Ink: Memento black, banana, not quite navy-SU!
Paper: Taylored Expressions-white CS, green, yellow-SU!
Accessories: Glitter-Art Institute, flower punch-SU!, foam dots-Jody Morrow, dew drops-Robin’s Nest, Copics

RECIPE – Monkey
Stamps: Taylored Expressions, sentiment-SU!
Ink: Memento brown
Paper: Wild Asparagus Designer CS, chocolate and shimmery white CS-SU!
Accessories: glitter-Art Institute, foam dots-Jody Morrow, Copics, Cuttlebug tag die

6 comments:

Sandra MacLean said...

It breaks my heart when I hear of little kids who are sick. :( I'm sure these cards will put a smile on her face though! Great job on the sketch this week Rebecca and your coloring of the bear is beautiful!

Javablustamper said...

Check them out!!! WOW!! GREAT job girl!! I wish I could have done a round card!! Not only did you do that? You did two!! Man!!! Hope you are well!



Jacquie/Javablustamper

Taylor said...

these are darling!!!!

Cassie said...

oh wow! they are both awesome! that lily pad is such a clever idea!! and then the monkey angel --- "adorable"!!! love the glitter - glad you were able to salvage some of it!

Kim R. said...

Great job on the sketch!! You did such a nice job coloring the image! I wish I tried making a circle card!

Darla said...

Such a cute, angelic monkey! You did a great job Rebecca! And I LOVE that lily pad. I have that stamp set, so now I have another idea of how to use it. Creative!