August 07, 2018

A Duo of Hero Arts Beach Themed Cards

The June Hero Arts kit, which was super popular, was called Sea and Sky. I ADORE everything beach so I sat down right away and made a couple of cards. I posted them on Instagram then promptly forgot to share them with you. It’s a funny thing, once I’ve shared a project in one place, I forget to post it in the other place. So today you get two cards!

beach chairs shaker

You will have to forgive me, I have a terrible memory for somethings due to my disability. Strange though, I can remember a wide variety of useless info! Anyway, back to the card. I painted the ombre background starting with blue and slowly transitioning to turquoise. I love painting my own backgrounds. It works so well for this type of card and I feel like I can justify the purchase of professional paints! {WINK} Can you say ‘Girl Math’?

beach chairs shaker2

The kit came with some sand-look embossing powder. It seems to have two sizes of copper powder, very larger chunks and normal sized bits and tan powder as well. I cut a Polaroid frame then embossed the bottom part so it would appear to have sand under the chairs. For the window, I used some heat-resistant acetate so I could stamp and emboss a white sentiment. I added lots of ocean colours of sequins and star confetti as well as some small shell stamped and die cut pieces to the shaker. Before adhering it to the background, I added a small boat and a dolphin to the background. That way I had two stable images and 3 floating ones inside the shaker. A few Nuvo drops finished this card without adding too crazy much bling.

kraft beach fancy frame card

For this card, I used an add-on to the kit, a fancy beach frame die. I coloured the frame with Copics adding leaves to the palm trees, some shading to the sides and colour to the details on the beach. The background was stamped with the ocean detail stamps from the main kit. There are three stamps total, one solid stamp, one shading stamp and one detail stamp. I stamped the first two normally but altered the way the top layer was to be used. It has a solid layer at the top meant to be used along the horizon and some small lines mean to show the waves. I moved the stamp down to near the shore. I stamped it in versamark omitting the top line then I embossed it in white. This makes the small lines look like froth on top of the waves! I love it when a stamp can be used in another unique way. It’s a shame so much of it ultimately ended up behind the frame.

kraft beach fancy frame card2

Stamping on kraft muted the colours of the stamping which I really liked in this case. It also made the cloud stand out really well. I used several layers of Hero Arts unicorn white for the base layer and white embossed the shading layer. A few sea birds completed the sky. I stamped tiny sandy dots with several colours of tans and browns on the sand area to give it more texture. A few sequins and pearls finished this card.

Do you love to make beach cards in the summer? I have more coming up for you in the next couple of weeks. I’m working on a mixed media piece too. Hopefully I’ll have it done in a few days. If you want to see it as soon as I’m done, follow me on Instagram. There is a link at the top of the blog on my side bar.

Enjoy, Rebecca

No comments: