November 20, 2017

Tropical Art Journal Spread

Yeah, I know it’s winter. But I have some projects left to show you from my time on the Dirty Dozen design team for SplitCoastStampers. And you know, I hate winter and all that!

SCS 01 vacation pages wm

The theme for the month was Guilty Pleasures. If I could pick something to really enjoy it would be a vacation somewhere warm and sunny! So I made a page to show a beach I’d like to visit. The base is an island map I printed off the internet. I covered it in matte medium to keep the ink from running when I added layers of acrylic paint. The tree trunk was hand drawn then cut from cork and coloured with Big Brush pens by Faber Castellar. The leaves were also hand drawn but on cardstock then coloured the same way. If you try this, be sure to seal your surface with more matte medium or the Brush pens won’t shade and blend.

Creating the island in the background was a bit hard. I wanted to make it look like the Hawaiian islands covered in lush green foliage but I also didn’t want it to become a flat green blob. I intended to make more trees but the ones I did took so long I gave up eventually! oh well, for me my art journal pages are for learning and exploration so I didn’t care too much. The map under the paint didn’t show up as much as I had hoped so to add more texture I stamped some tone-on-tone stamping. I used lots of postal cancellation marks and botanical illustration text. Last but not least I added some journaling, the crab and sand dollar and lettering.

Enjoy, Rebecca

No comments: