November 04, 2017

Lovely Layers Cake Card

Do you prefer lots of layers or Clean and Simple cards? Perhaps somewhere in between? I’ve been making more CAS cards lately but my true love is shabby and layered. I’m guessing that even if you don’t like to make that type of card, you must enjoy seeing them or you wouldn’t be here! So I was in love with the challenge this week at Crazy 4 Challenges.

c4c shabby cake layers

Sometimes I start with a stamp, other times a paper or embellishment. With this card, I started with the image as I had already coloured it, with Copics, but decided not to use it that day. Next I wanted something pretty behind my image so I looked through my ornate dies, most by Spellbinders but a few by other companies. I basically audition the dies by placing them behind the image. I wanted some of it to show but not so much that it overwhelmed the image or required a larger than standard card but not so small it wasn’t worth having it there.

After choosing the die, I decided on my papers. The background is a kraft woodgrain paper from a Simon kit. I tried a couple of options for the gold paper; the gold I recently bought from PTI is very yellow and therefore too bright for this card. But my mirrored cardstock, which is my go-to gold paper, was perfect! The only white flowers I have right now have mustardy-yellow centers. So being someone who always tried to make it work, I covered the stamens with a Kirarina Wink marker. It covered so well I was pretty amazed! After the ink dried, I airbrushed some blush Copic marker in the center.

Also in the theme of making it work, I wanted to use a couple of corsage pins but the ‘white’ of the pearl looked more very grey next to the warm tones of my card. And the pin was silver while all the metal on my card was gold. So I airbrushed the pearl with the same Copic as the flowers and coated the pin with gold Sharpie.

Enjoy, Rebecca

No comments: