September 26, 2016

Masculine Cards

Do you struggle to make masculine cards? For me, it depends on whether or not I know what the person likes. I find it especially hard when I don’t know them. But I realized that I had quite a few masculine cards in my ‘unposted’ file waiting to be blogged so I thought I’d give you some tips for making simple masculine or guy cards.

masc congrats

There just doesn’t seem to be a single universal theme that all guys like. For girls, you can always use flowers; I don’t know a single lady who doesn’t at least like flowers a little bit. The first card is much nicer looking IRL. The Congratulations die (SSS) cut doesn’t show the gold embossing very well and it appears to blend into the background paper (Graphic 45) which it doesn’t really. Sometimes a really good piece of patterned paper and a sentiment are all you need. The accents are wooden ‘enamel’ dots.

happy retirement

For this card, a simple layout, some non-girlie ribbon (grosgrain, twine, twill and faux suede ribbon are all amazing choices) and a bit of rustically applied embossing powder work well. This could be used with almost any sentiment (PTI) on it but hubby asked for a retirement for a co-worker who likes to golf.

gentleman congrats

This elegant monochromatic card works well for any occasion for the dapper gentleman. The patterned paper panels  (Graphic 45) are all outlined with a gold paint pen.

ann 2015

Grow Old with Me (MFT) seemed like a good sentiment for an anniversary card for my hubby last year; it was our 18th anniversary. I used a simple layout with a bit of interest added by matting the patterned papers (My Mind’s Eye), stamping some text lightly and randomly and adding a couple of embellishments: a cool metal clip and some of that suede ribbon I mentioned earlier.

grad boy 15

An image (MFT) coloured in with Copic markers to match the patterned paper (Basic Grey) and some Copic coloured stars (Studio Calico) perfectly suit this masculine grad card.

GM get well card

Some quick Copic marker swipes, a simple stamped image (Cornish Heritage Farms I think) and some chevron dies (PTI)make this card well suited to the car enthusiast. This technique works perfectly for any line image and some solid stamps too.

tim ann 2011

Another anniversary card for hubby. I blended reinkers on glossy paper with a baby wipe and added some simple embossed images (Unity). (UGH, before MISTI some of my stamping was quite crooked!) This is a great way to make a quick card without having to colour an image if that’s not your thing.

beach retirement

I’ve posted this one before but it shows you again how patterned papers, a simply stamped image (Waltzing Mouse Stamps) and some twill make for a great masculine card. You don’t have to add the sequins (maybe sub in enamel dots or brads if you wish). My husband gave this one as a retirement card for a co-worker. Ocean, lighthouse and landscape scenes often work well as a card for guys you don’t know.

I hope this helps you with your masculine card making!

Enjoy, Rebecca

No comments: