February 14, 2013

Papertrey Ink Challenge–Pearl and Flower Necklace

PTI 6 ann

I’ve been getting more and more in to making jewellery lately so when Nichole challenged us to make some sort of accessory using PTI products, I decided to make a necklace.

pink pearl flower necklace

I was inspired by a couple different necklaces on Pinterest but this is different enough and the overall idea common enough I can’t really credit any one source. I used a PTI scalloped circle die to make the flower. It took a metal shim and a thick cardstock shim to get good cuts but once I had it set, it cut beautifully!

pink pearl flower necklace2

I am going to do a tutorial for the flower soon. I used ordinary 19 strand, stainless, coated beading wire for the pearls. At the ends I used Scrimp beads to secure a split ring. Scrimps are a large crimp bead with a tiny screw inside. They look nicer IMHO and hold securely. You can undo them unlike crimp beads to adjust the length by taking off some beads and redoing it. They also can’t break like a normal crimp which is a problem I often encounter. I guess I don’t know my own strength! Hee hee! I used a split ring instead of a jump ring (like a tiny key chain ring) because they are more secure. A soldered jump ring would also work.

The flower is made from chiffon, 16 pieces. It is pretty cheap to buy at the fabric store and they usually have lots of colour choices if they sell bridal fabric. I always get a small piece, like 6-10” or 1/8 yd but insist it is cut straight so I always get a ton more than I actually ask for. When cutting tiny things out of it, it adds up! On the back I glued on a pin back but also a lobster claw clasp. The lobster claw attaches to the split ring but the pin back allows me to take it off and use it as a brooch!

Enjoy, Rebecca

RECIPE
Glass based pearl beads-Michaels, split rings-BeadFx.com, stringing material-Beadalon, Scrimps, fabric-Fabricland, scalloped circle die-PTI, thread-Guttermann, ribbon-stash

1 comment:

DIANA L. said...

Beautiful.