It’s been a while but it seems I’m back into doing challenges again. I kinda go in spurts! This one is for The Shabby Tea Room’s sketch challenge, also for the Our Creative Corner a.k.a OCC Design Team search challenge and the Crazy 4 Challenges inspiration challenge!
I knew I wanted to use a bird for the OCC challenge so I dug out some Basic Grey porcelain chipboard pieces and layered them. The frame lead me to the idea of cutting a hole in the center of the card so show the inside. I love how it looks with the music paper behind! Granted there is little to no room for a message but oh well!! I changed around the location of the sketch elements and omitted the middle panel but I’m sure it is close enough!
Guess where I got that rose? You won’t be able to figure out which store because I made it! Yep, I used the 5 petal flower dies from Heartfelt Creations, split the layers of cardstock for the white petals, embossed all of the petals and assembled them all according to a genius YouTube video. I don’t have the link handy but if anyone wants it, just email me. She has figured out how to copy so many fabulous store-bought Prima type flowers. I am not nearly as fast as her, this one took me an hour, so they are only for special cards but I think this one was worth it. Maybe I’ll get faster as I made more. The rose is much whiter and brighter IRL but I had to darken the photo to show the detail, the white blows out very easily.
The stick pin is really just a head pin used for jewellery making. I like them better because they are WAY cheaper, they come in varying lengths, they don’t have sharp points and unlike some stick pins, they are thin enough for almost all beads to thread on nicely. You can also get them with pretty heads though I don’t have any right now.
I dyed the seam binding ribbon myself using Copic markers RV10 and R20. I know, one of those is a purplish pink and the other is peachy. But because they are both so pale, they seem to work together. I colour lightly and streaky with the one marker, then go back and fill in the lightest areas with the other marker. Then I spray some alcohol ink on my hands then scrunch the ribbon tightly in my hands which helps blend the colours, but not too much as I wanted some variegation. Then I lay it out to dry which takes almost no time.
The background DP was too bright by itself, which I found strange since it is from the same line of paper, so I layered vellum over it. I have to say, getting all 4 papers lined up with even borders and even scallops AND all matched at the center circle was quite a feat since I couldn’t send everything through at once! But it was worth the work! I am thrilled with how it turned out.
Stamp: Music Scrapblock (hard to see, on card base)
Paper: Basic Grey Porcelain, sweet blush CS-PTI, chocolate CS-SU!, vellum, vintage music paper-stash,
Ink: Vintage Photo, Antique Linen Distress, Sweet blush-PTI
Accessories: lace-stash, flower-handmade, chipboard-Basic Grey, Copic markers R20,22, RV10, PTI scalloped edge die, head pin-Michaels, 1/2 pearls-Dollarama, pearl beads-SU! pretties kit, pink Czech bead-That Bead Lady, seam binding ribbon-Etsy, Circle Nestabilities