May 10, 2009

Spencer Inspired Chocolate Card

So here is another funny past about my baby. In case you are wondering, yes, my other kid does funny stuff but more of it is the kinda thing where you had to be there. My baby loves to go to bed late, really, REALLY late, early-the-next-morning late. We manage but I have learned the hard way when he is ready for bed, he sleeps better and longer if he eats right before bed. So I gave him a banana and while I was in the fridge (getting a drink, not the banana! LOL), I noticed we still had some chocolate cake! Hmmmm, midnight snack! OK, later than midnight but it's an expression people!

So I ask him if he wants some, of course he does but I love to see how excited gets for chocolate! Normally he says, ‘yummy, yummy, yummy’ but today he pulled out another new word (he is very slow to talk) saying, “Happy, happy, happy!” Chocolate spencers chocolate card
lovin’ kid after my own heart, eh? So we share the cake, bite for mommy, bite for baby, as long as he is ready for it. So he gets the second last bite and I start to scrape some errant icing off the plate to go with the last bite, which is supposed to be mine if all’s fair! As I go to eat the last bite, he looks up at me and says, “Happy?” Awwwwww! How could I resist? I mean, I did think about it but my kids are marginally more important to me than chocolate. HA HA LOL! Y’all know I'm kidding! Of course I gave him the last bite!!

So this card was inspired by Spencer! I decided to make a mini box of chocolate for the front of the card. Each chocolate inside is spencers chocolate card closeup1 paper pieced with silver paper with silver embossing for the foil wrapper and chocolate chip ink on cocoa paper for the chocolates. I cut the chocolate out with some extra at the bottom. Then I actually slit the silver layer in a zigzag pattern (like the edge of the foil wrapper) and put the ‘chocolate’ inside it so it is a bit more 3 dimensional. Oh, man! I just thought of an even better way to do the chocolates! I am going to replace the plain inked chocolates with chocolate embossed ones so they look shiny! I finally found dark brown embossing powder at ScrapFest. It is too late to make new chocolates now so I will add a photo of them later today. The box itself is made from three heart shapes cut with my Coluzzle. The inside heart is cut smaller to look like the liner. I’ve never actually received the cheesy heart-shaped box of chocolates so I had to guess what they look like inside!

The bottom heart is scored 1/8” down from the bumps and I applied glue on the scored section only and adhered the lid. The spencers chocolate card closeup2 whole box is up on foam dots. So when you lift the lid, the bottom of the box flexes back at the score line. This method may not make sense at first but it allows the top to lift even though it isn’t scored. I was going to add liquid pearls and a rhinestone to the top of each chocolate as icing but there isn’t room inside. I wish I had realized that sooner, I would have tried to come up with another method of attaching the lid that allowed more room. **SIGH**

Enjoy, Rebecca

RECIPE
Stamps:
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers except ‘happy’ by SU!
Ink: chocolate, cocoa, riding hood red
Paper: Chocolate, cocoa, riding hood red, pink pirouette
Accessories: brown grosgrain ribbon-SU!, foam dots and circle red line tape-Jody Morrow, Copic marker (colour ribbon), white taffeta ribbon-SU!, striped ribbon-Sharon Johnson,  tab punch-SU!
Techniques: paper piecing, paper tole, sponging

6 comments:

Kimmie said...

That little heart chocolate box is such an awesome idea!

Yvette said...

What a cute story and a really sweet card! Happy Mothers Day!!!

Erica said...

What a super cute card and an adorable story to go along with it. MY GD loves chocolate (from me) and basketball (from Grandpa). She says both words perfectly at 20 months old...3 sylable words, YIKES. Hubby says she can have all the chocolate if she wathches basketball with him. I think she'd better play the game if she's planning on being a chocoholic.
Hope you had a Happy Mother's Day

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

Just love it -- great use of those wide stripes!

Amy's Stocking Stuffers said...

That's an adorable story, and that card is amazing! I've only recently begun exploring what cards and ink stamp projects people are making and posting on the internet, and I'm truly amazed.

Amy's Stocking Stuffers said...

P.S. I got your e-mail. I've just added you to my Google Reader, and am looking forward to more "beginners" posts. Thanks!!!