November 30, 2011

Paris ‘Challenge Me’ ATC

As any of my regular readers knows, I trade quite a few craft items on Swap-Bot. This one was for a swap I designed called ‘Challenge Me’ ATC which was quite new and different. In order to make the ATC, the sender had to list  their favourite 10 crafting supplies or tools in the comments section.

Paris challenge me ATC

The recipient would choose 5 of those that the sender HAD to use to make the ATC. The recipient would also look over the sender’s profile and choose a theme from things that the sender listed as likes. Then the sender created the ATC with the 5 items chosen (basic supplies like scissors, cardstock etc were givens for everyone) plus one additional item from the list of 10 and 2 other items of choice.

I made this a couple weeks ago so I’m not sure I'm 100% but I think the 5 were DP, ephemera, punches, dies and ribbon. The scalloped border is a punch, the doily a die. The ephemera is the music paper, background is DP. I used a stamp as an additional item from my list of 10. And I added pearls. The theme my partner chose was Paris but could I find my Eiffel Tower stamp? UGH! Took me ages! And I know I have 2 but I never did find the 2nd one.

I dyed the silk ribbon with Copic ink and distressed it with Vintage Photo ink. I used a Bow Easy to make a nice tidy bow. TIP: Did you know that if you wrap the ribbon in a figure 8 around the ‘legs’ rather than wrapping around the outside of the ‘legs’ of the Bow Easy and  you put a twist in the ribbon in the center, the bow loops will fluff much more easily? Especially with lots of loops. I forgot to do so here and you can see that my loops will stay out to the sides and not fan all the way into a nice circular shape. I don’t have enough loops to make a full circular shape anyway but if I did, they would always try to stick out to the sides unless you figure 8 wrap the ribbon.

Enjoy, Rebecca

Ink: Vintage Photo, Antique Linen Distress, Memento black
Paper: Graphic 45 Romantique, white typing paper (doily), vanilla, black CS-SU!, vintage music paper
Accessories: doily die-PTI, punch-EK Success, May Arts Ribbon, Bow Easy, Copic, Kaisercraft Pearls

November 09, 2011

Last Week’s Mojo Cards

So I finally get around to making some cards using a sketch and even within the actual week it was published. I often use sketches long after they are published if they fit the stamps or stickers or image I want to use. But did I remember to blog them and enter them? Of course not! Pregnancy brain is my only excuse!

singh hospitality mojo

This card was for friends of ours, a lovely couple who had an early anniversary party for us. We are celebrating 14 years on the 25th! Considering we only knew each other and dated for less than 6 months, I think we’ve probably beat some pretty amazingly high odds together. My husband is actually the only guy I’ve ever even kissed. Isn’t that sweet?!!

singh hospitality mojo closeup

I got to use the new Hero Arts stamps that come with matching dies, how cool is that! The dies are unique in that they have the cutting blade right at the inner edge so it is very easy to see through the center and line up accurately. You can see how close I got in the photo above! The flower is a bit off but pretty good for a first time.

suzanne sympathy

This card is a sympathy card I started ages ago. A friend’s MIL died of cancer at a relatively young age 2 months ago, what a shame. I decided to go with a shabby chic design as I haven’t done much of it lately. I made the  rose with a rolled flower die, cut the doily and tag, stamped the tag and that’s where I left it for way too long. I mean, it isn’t fun to make a sympathy card anyways and I started to get the favours and invites ready for a spa party I was having and this got set aside.

Incidentally, the tag die was too short for the sentiment so I carefully placed the die in my Cuttlebug plates so that only 2/3 of it cut. Then I moved the die across the paper so when I cut the other end, the die cut was longer than if I cut it all at once. I’ve done it before and it always works quite well! I may have to do a video on that at some point. Just be careful when you cut the second time that you don’t allow the plates to cut the first end or you will  mess it up. Let me know if you are interested in a video!

In case you are wondering, the card is made of two unconnected cardstock circles; doily is glued to the back of the card front. Then the card back is scored about 3/4” from the top and adhered to the card front, above the score line only, with the doily sandwiched in between. I had to use some pretty strong adhesive but it worked really very well.

Enjoy, Rebecca

Stamps: PTI-Homemade, flower-Hero Arts
Ink: vintage photo Distress, celery, rose red, regal rose-SU!
Paper: DP Restoration-Crate, yellow DP-stash, kraft, black CS-SU!
Accessories: embossing folder-Cuttlebug, gold edging pen-Pilot, punch-MS, foam dots-Jody Morrow, pearls-Kaisercraft and Dollarama, Matching Hero Arts dies

Stamps: JustRite
Ink: antique linen, vintage photo Distress, Artichoke-SU!
Paper: Basic Grey Perhaps, pink pirouette, celery, white CS-SU!
Accessories: Spellbinders dies, doily-Wilton, silk ribbon-May Arts, pearls-Dollarama, scalloped edge punch-SU!, foam dots-Jody Morrow